The history of the Town of Windsor stretches far beyond its official incorporation in 1890. Before American travelers began to settle the area, the place we call Windsor was home to immense herds of bison and the native peoples that hunted them. Archaeological evidence at the Kaplan-Hoover Bison Kill Site proves human occupation of the area as early as 800 B.C. In the 1870s, a solitary building served as a stopping point midway between Greeley and Fort Collins, both already established towns at that time.
Since the arrival of the Great Salt Lake and Pacific Railroad connecting Greeley and Fort Collins in 1882, the Town of Windsor has been growing steadily even to today. As the population of the town surpasses 30,000 people, Windsor still maintains a small town feel that helps its residents catch a glimpse of what life might have been like here one hundred years ago.
In 1873, a settler named J.L. Hilton built a small house along the Overland Trail wagon road midway between Greeley and Fort Collins. The Halfway house, as it became known, served as a stopping point for travelers, stage coaches, and mail deliveries. The arrival of the railroad reduced the necessity of the Halfway House, but it remained a bustling saloon for many years. The railroad didn't just make it easier for people to travel through Northern Colorado, it facilitated the transport of farmers' crops and brought in investors and businessmen in increasing numbers. New advances in irrigation practices made it possible to sustain massive farms of wheat, and, most importantly, sugar beets.
Accessibility: ColoProperty.com® is conducting periodic site audits in order to identify potential accessibility issues and is implementing changes to improve accessibility. For more information, contact ColoProperty.com®.